Saturday, January 4, 2014

Mr. Jaxon's Debut

Jed and I went to the hospital on the morning of the 28th, the evening before I was waiting for the hospital to call me and they never did. By 10 p.m. I decided it was reasonable for me to call them and see what was happening. The Dr. had me scheduled for 6:15 a.m. but the charge nurse said the day had been crazy and would like me to call her at 5 a..m the next morning to see if that time would still work, and if not they would push it back.

I called at 5 and she asked if I could come in at 7. I felt fine with that and quite relieved because I was worried they would push me way back. We got our other littles into the car and took them to my mama's. And then headed to the hospital, the intake lady seemed quite surprised when we arrived and told us that no one informed her and that they should have. It was a slow start and the room wasn't ready and there was no pitocin available right away so we took it leisurely and by about 9 a.m. things started rolling.

I was having small contractions on my own and I was dilated to a 2 and effaced about 60%, Dr. came and broke my water. Normal for me is to have a huge gush, but this time there was just a trickle and then nothing. The Dr. told me I made this baby too comfortable,  because baby was up so high. I responded "I think I make all of my babies too comfortable." He laughed and agreed. They started the 2 IV's and I decided that I wasn't sure if I wanted the epidural or not because it doesn't last very long on me and I hate being super numb when they have to redo it to give me the numb effect and so the nurse brought me a booklet that had lots of ideas on coping mechanisms and strategies. I used those for about 2 1/2 hours, walked around and stood up and peed like a million times, Jed always helped me with the cords and stretching the IV pole to the ladies facility.  until I was at a 3 and decided that I wanted it. It was my Dr. that checked me and he wasn't wearing his scrubs because he went next door to work out while he waited for things to progress.

The anesthesiologist came in and gave me the goods and told me as she put the medicine in I may feel a jolt in my leg. I hadn't ever experienced that before but this time I did and it felt like I was being shocked in my knee cap. The nurse told me later that she had heard about it but had never witnessed it happen.They turned me on my back to get check me and get all of the monitors adjusted and I felt like I was going to throw up. It was fun. :)

After I got the epidural Jed asked me if I wanted to take a nap. I did and I dozed of for about an hour and a half and then woke up to lots of pressure and feeling lots of contractions. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 5. We told her that I go very quickly from a 5 to a 10 very quickly. She checked me 30 minutes later confused at to why my Dr. called and insisted because she said she just checked me and sure enough I was an 8 and she went to call the Dr. and get the room set up for delivery. Jed was so sweet, I was still mildly numb but could feel a lot, Jed rubbed my neck and shoulders to help keep me calm, it really helped.

Dr. arrived 15 minutes later and we were ready to push.

Dr. arrived and we pushed for 3 sets of 10 three times. I got a major nose bleed and Jed helped keep my face clean for me as I pushed. As Jaxon's head was crowning and being delivered the dr. noticed that he had the cord around his neck twice and was able to unloop it. It didn't effect his heart rate or anything which was good. On the last push out of 3 he was here. His face was blue and it took a bit for him to cry, his color eventually changed and he has been great. Delivery was 5 hours, I shant complain about that.

He is the sweetest boy. His face was a little swollen from the cord around his neck, I think he looked a lot like Ruby the first day and now I think he looks like Emma's twin in boy form. :) I bled really heavy the first day and was passing clots the size of salad plates, which meant a lot of kneading of my middle section. Most unpleasant.

Jaxon just likes to be held and be close, he didn't stay in the nursery much because they could never make him happy but he was happy when he was with me. I like being in the hospital because I get 3 meals and don't have to worry about anyone else, but I hate being woken up repeatedly and I get lonely and miss my family. I cried when Jed had to leave to take care of the kids.

It was such a great experience having a healthy baby this time and not having to worry about lots of health problems. We are so in love with this little guy and so blessed to have him  with us.


  1. oh, he is so cute! Glad things went well and hope you enjoy another little Romig. Congratulations.

  2. Yay I love birth stories! Sounds like you totally knew your body and what to do. I hope my fourth goes like that too! (Well if there is a fourth haha). He is beautiful and I love that he just wanted to be with you. What a sweet boy. I'm glad you're home and I hope things are going amazingly!

  3. oh babies! Aren't they such blessings? I am glad that things went well and that you knew what to expect with your body. The things we do and put our bodies through for these babies. It's amazing how quickly I forget. I am you didn't have to deal with health issues and could just love your little guy, which is sounds like he's super sweet. I love that he just wants to me with you. He's beautiful. Good work Ashley!

  4. Thank you for sharing these details on your blog Ash! I would have heard them if I was there, and it helps just to know them. What a BEAUTIFUL boy you have! Love you!